12 little pleasures of diving
We've asked divers of all ages and levels what is the thrill, emotion, or experience that keeps bringing them back underwater. Here is what they said...
What I love most in a dive is:
1. Flowing with a gentle current while enjoying reef life
2. Feeling a shiver run down my spine as I catch the eye of a sandbar shark moving towards me
3. Discovering fish behavior... such as observing two moray eels fighting!
4. Seeing the wonder and amazement in my buddy's eyes
5. Rediscovering, each and every time, the incredible variety of life teeming underwater, even in a tiny speck of reef
6. Discovering, in each dive, a marine species that I didn't know
7. Observing remoras while they swim under the belly of a shark
8. Meeting a remora that mistakes me for a shark, and attaches itself to me!
9. Watching a turtle peacefully falling asleep
10. Feeling, for the entire dive, part of a different reality
11. Trying to swim and move exactly like the fish I'm watching
12. Keeping myself and my mind in check in an environment where, actually, I have no control over anything
Did we convince you? OK, before leaving for your next dive adventure, make sure your DAN membership is still active. If it isn't, join DAN or renew your membership at www.daneurope.org
Your DAN membership ensures the services of the biggest international network, assisting divers anywhere in case of emergency.